Tools: Assessment and Counseling
- Adolescents, HIV, and Mental Health. Materials developed by the Mental Health Subgroup of the AETC Adolescent HIV/AIDS Workgroup. 09/2006.
- Case Finding, Primary and Secondary Prevention for Adolescents: Clinical Risk Assessment and Screening Guide. Comprehensive guide from the Pennsylvania/MidAtlantic AIDS Education and Training Center.
- Child and Adolescent Depression and Anxiety Toolkit. Center for Children with Special Needs, Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center, Seattle, Washington. Links to resources for families and professionals. Includes multilingual information.
- A Guide to Sexual History Taking with Men who have Sex with Men. California STD/HIV Prevention Training Center. February 2006. Includes questions for adults and teens.
- HEADSS questionnaire with additional questions for for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or (LGB) Youth. Adapted with permission, from Goldering JM, Cohen EH: Getting into an adolescent's H.E.A.D.S. Contemporary Pediatrics 1998; 5:7, and Ryan C, Futterman D. Lesbian and Gay Youth: Care and Counseling. Columbia University Press. 1998.
- Health Education and Counseling Guidelines for STD/HIV Prevention The Client-Centered Risk Assessment/Risk Reduction Session. California STD Controllers Association, California Department of Health Services, California STD/HIV Prevention Training Center. No date.
- HerbMed. An interactive, electronic herbal database - provides hyperlinked access to the scientific data underlying the use of herbs for health. It is an impartial, evidence-based information resource provided by the nonprofit Alternative Medicine Foundation, Inc.
- Management of Depression and HIV. AIDS Education and Training Centers. 2006. Comprehensive toolkit with algorithms and tools for diagnosis and treatment of depression in people with HIV.
- Psychiatric Medications and HIV Antiretrovirals: A Guide to Interactions for Clinicians. New York/New Jersey AIDS Education and Training Center. Provides guidance for minimizing drug interactions and more severe reactions among patients being treated with psychiatric medications in conjunction with antiretorvirals. Data were compiled from published studies and anecdotal reports on March 2004.
- Recreational Drugs and HIV Antiretrovirals: A Guide to Interactions for Clinicians. New York/New Jersey AIDS Education and Training Center. Summer 2005. This educational guide is intended to provide advice that may reduce harm to patients who use these substances in conjunction with antiretroviral agents. Its data is a compilation of information obtained through published and anecdotal studies up to June 2005.
Cultural and Linguistic Competency
- Adolescent Provider Toolkit. Adolescent Health Working Group. Collection of resources for health care providers who work with adolescents, incorporating adolescent health care best practices and including resources for providers, parents, and teens.
The Toolkit modules contain screening tools, brief office interventions and counseling guidelines, community resources and referrals, health education materials for teens and their adult caregivers, literature reviews and internet resources. Some sections are translated into Spanish, Vietnamese, and Chinese. 2003-2007.
- Practice Parameters. American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. Library of practice parameters on topics such as: Assessment of a Child and Adolescent, Anxiety Disorders, Depressive Disorders, and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder.
- ambienteJoven. A Spanish-language website for Latino young men who have sex with men (YMSM) and for Latino gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning (GLBTQ) youth in the United States and Latin America.
- Making MEDS Work for You. Lerner-Weiss N, Burr C. François-Xavier Bagnoud Center, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. Booklet for young people with HIV infection who have decided to begin antiretroviral therapy. Written with the ongoing input of an advisory group of experts in HIV care and young people living with HIV, the booklet discusses how antiretroviral medicines work in the body and makes suggestions about successfully managing medication schedules. 2005.
- MySistahs.org. Website by and for young women of color.
- OutProud: The National Coalition for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Youth . Community website with news, resources, forums.
- Safe Schools Coalition: Resources for GLBT Youth of Color. Resource listing.
- YouthLine: Queer Youth of Colour. Canadian website for LGBT youth.
- YouthResource. Created by and for GLBTQ youth and offers support, community, resources, and peer-to-peer education about sexual health and other issues of concern to GLBTQ youth.